On 14 May 2012 14:34, David Cantrell <da...@cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 04:58:49PM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
On 2012.5.13 3:41 PM, David Cantrell wrote:
> Perl used to have this.  It was called #include.  It's a damned shame
> that -P got killed off.  Removing it was hateful.
Let's run one language through another language's preprocessor!  WHAT COULD
POSSIBLY GO WRONG?!  Let's just see what the old 5.10.1 perlrun man page says
about it...

None of which stops it from being a damned useful tool.  You just need
to be careful with it.  I thought that perl was all about giving you a
gun and if you shot your own foot off that was your own stupid fault.

I can't imagine why they removed it.  Wait, yes I can!  Jarko and I wrote
those warnings after trying like hell to make it work in anything like a
reliable manner.

I wouldn't mind if it was disabled by default and if I had to explicitly
enable it per file, with something like 'no strict cpp'.

Couldnt this just be a filter/preprocessor thingee?

use C::Preprocessor;

I was really pleased I finally managed to write a script that uses it,
and then discovered they had deprecated it. :-(

Yves