On 2012-05-13, at 19:09, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
* Andy Armstrong <a...@hexten.net> [2012-05-13 20:05]:
I find it very hard to live with Lua's 1-based arrays. I don't think
it's just familiarity - lots of index calculations work out
significantly more verbose and ugly with 1-based arrays.

Ever since I’ve dealt with them in XPath I would add

   Humans start counting from 1 so the computer should too

to whatever else would be on my list in the spirit of Schwern’s.

Oh yes, add to the list of stupid language designer tricks:

* Imagining that there's some relationship between computer languages and human
languages.
 * See COBOL
 * See Perl

The fact that the word "language" is overloaded to mean completely different
things is a good example of why this is a bad idea.