Hi Dr. Schoffelen,

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the fieldtrip package you listed and I
can now open all kinds of cifti files.

The initial package I installed is from this page:
https://github.com/Washington-University/cifti-matlab
and I was linked from here:
https://wiki.humanconnectome.org/display/PublicData/HCP+Users+FAQ#HCPUsersFAQ-2.HowdoyougetCIFTIfilesintoMATLAB

Also just to mention that both yours and Timothy's email never got into my
mailbox. I wouldn't have seen them if I did not read the HCP digest.

Thanks,
Cherry