From:
<hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org>>
 on behalf of Timothy Coalson <tsc...@mst.edu<mailto:tsc...@mst.edu>>
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 6:30 PM
To: "Gopalakrishnan, Karthik" <gkart...@gatech.edu<mailto:gkart...@gatech.edu>>
Cc: "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>"
<hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] Distance between surface ROIs in MMP

Since ROIs are not points, distance between them becomes a trickier question.
Since areas are connected through white matter rather than gray matter, that
also implies that the easy ways to calculate distance may not be all that
biologically relevant.  This would point to using tractography to find
distances.  So, I don't think there is an easy answer, sorry.

If you want to compute distance along the gray matter anyway, a possibility is
to find the center of gravity of each ROI, translate them back to surface
vertices (the centers will not actually be on the surface anymore, so you may
want to double check them), and then find geodesic distances between those
points (you can use -surface-geodesic-distance, running it once per area - you
can then get the values from the other vertices near the centers to build the
all-to-all matrix a row at a time).  Note, however, that this will not give you
a distance to areas in the other hemisphere.

Tim

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Gopalakrishnan, Karthik