Features are done in a separate branch for two reasons: 1) During a feature
development the branch may be not functional 2) The high level approach and
design is not very clear and development can continue while that is being
sorted out. In case of this feature, clearly (2) is not an issue. We have
had enough discussion about the approach. I also think this branch is ready
for merge without rendering trunk not functional. That leaves us with one
objection that is being raised; the content is not complete. This did not
prevent recently merged crypto file system work from being merged to trunk.
We discussed and decided that it can be merged to trunk and we will finish
the remaining work that is a must have in trunk before merging to branch-2.
That is a reasonable approach for this feature as well. In fact there are a
lot of bug fixes and improvements still happening on crypto work even after
branch-2 merge (which is a good thing in my opinion, it shows that the
testing is continuing and feature is still being improved).

As regards to the eviction policy we have had discussion in the jira. I
disagree that there exists a "usable" or "better" strategy that works well
for all the work loads. I also disagree that additional policy to the
existing LRU is needed, leave alone it being needed for trunk merge. New
eviction policies need to be developed as people experiment with it. Hence
making the eviction policy pluggable is great way to approach it.

There are some testing information posted on the jira, such as performance.
But I think we need more details on how this feature is being tested.
Arpit, can you please post test details. As for me, given how much work
(both discussion and coding) has gone into it, and given it is a very
important feature that allows experimentation to use memory tier, I would
like to see this available in release 2.6.