As I mentioned in the original message, take a look at HDFS-9114, which is
basically making HDFS-8880 operable.

Generating a sink that is not a sink (which is what HDFS-8880 basically does),
isn’t particularly practical.  8880 would be much more appealing if it was a
sink. If FileSink isn’t fixable, then let's make a Log4jSink which would
basically be FileSink with those issues fixed.

If not all NN metrics are getting logged, then that’s probably a bug in *all*
of the metrics systems, no?  Having them show up only in this one off sounds
absolutely terrible.