Hello!

What do folks think about changing our line length guidelines to allow for 100
character width?

Currently, we tell folks to follow the sun style guide with some exception
unrelated to line length. That guide says width of 80 is the standard and our
current check style rules act as enforcement.

Looking at the current trunk codebase our nightly build shows a total of ~15k
line length violations; it’s about 18% of identified checkstyle issues.

The vast majority of those line length violations are <= 100 characters long.
100 characters happens to be the length for the Google Java Style Guide,
another commonly adopted style guide for java projects, so I suspect these
longer lines leaking past the checkstyle precommit warning might be a
reflection of committers working across multiple java codebases.

I don’t feel strongly about lines being longer, but I would like to move
towards more consistent style enforcement as a project. Updating our project
guidance to allow for 100 character lines would reduce the likelihood that
folks bringing in new contributions need a precommit test cycle to get the
formatting correct.

Does anyone feel strongly about keeping the line length limit at 80 characters?

Does anyone feel strongly about contributions coming in that clear up line
length violations?