If the statement that transfers took 10s with 7.1 and Jessie is
accurate, then the expected time should be 10s.

Nico replied with a list of changes that are present on the "master"
branch which will speed up writes by avoiding a disk sync operation for
each and every record.

One question that you should also ponder is whether the storage
infrastructure on which the Stretch systems are running is equivalent to
the infrastructure on the Jessie systems were running.  Perhaps the
Jessie systems ignored disk sync operations.

Jeffrey Altman