> From: Joel Reicher <joel.reic...@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 10:45:41 +1000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > AFAICT, the installer was also updated.  If you are sure you
> > installed the new version, perhaps you should completely
> > uninstall the previous one first?
>
> I had already completely uninstalled first (including checking the
> directory manually to see it was empty). I also spot checked some
> eln files to confirm they were missing, so unless something really
> weird is going on the exe is missing these.
>
> I don't know if it's relevant, but the timestamps on
>
> emacs-29.4-sha256sum.txt.sig
> emacs-29.4-sha256sum.txt
> emacs-29.4.zip.sig
> emacs-29.4.zip
>
> are more recent than all other files by almost 24hrs. Normally all
> files for the same version have very similar timestamps.

AFAIK, at least one other person confirmed that this new distribution
fixed the problem.

AFAIR, the problem was caused by the fact that libgccjit was present,
but as.exe was not.  So if you have libgccjit DLL somewhere on your
system, either on PATH or in the same directory where emacs.exe lives,
just getting it out of the way ore renaming it could be what you need.

If the above doesn't help either, I suggest a full-fledged bug report,
so that the person who produces these installers (that's not me) could
investigate.