Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> writes:

From: Joel Reicher <joel.reic...@gmail.com>
Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 10:45:41 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> writes:

AFAICT, the installer was also updated. If you are sure you installed the new version, perhaps you should completely uninstall the previous one first?

I had already completely uninstalled first (including checking the directory manually to see it was empty).

AFAIK, at least one other person confirmed that this new distribution fixed the problem.

AFAIR, the problem was caused by the fact that libgccjit was present, but as.exe was not. So if you have libgccjit DLL somewhere on your system, either on PATH or in the same directory where emacs.exe lives, just getting it out of the way ore renaming it could be what you need.

From the installer itself there is a

c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.4/bin/libgccjit-0.dll

But doesn't setting `native-comp-jit-compilation' to nil accomplish the same workaround a little more easily? (I added this to my early-init yesterday while I'm figuring out the problem.)

Also I think that DLL is missing from emacs-29.4.zip. Was that the "packaging error"; i.e. should it *not* be present in the installer exe?

If the above doesn't help either, I suggest a full-fledged bug report, so that the person who produces these installers (that's not me) could investigate.

Done.

Thanks and regards,

      - Joel