On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Oren Teich <o...@heroku.com> wrote:

> Because you don't have access to the DB directly, many of the built in
> search solutions aren't available on Heroku.  Using built in FTS or things
> like tsearch will break taps for example, and are not supported.  A few
> people have reports of getting them running, but it's not production
> quality.  If you want to use search on Heroku, websolr is really the way to
> go.

Don't know if this is production-ready, but Aaron Patterson released a gem
some time ago called 'Texticle' which lets you do full-text search using
Postgres on Heroku.

Full blog post (with instructions on setting up) is here:
http://tenderlovemaking.com/2009/10/17/full-text-search-on-heroku/

HTH.

Cheers,
Arun

> Oren
>

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Mike <mikel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I noticed that the documentation recommends using Solr for search:
>> http://docs.heroku.com/full-text-search
>>
>> However, Postgres has a built-in full text search capability that is
>> not discussed at all.  I was wondering what the rationale is for the
>> recommendation of Solr?
>>
>> Would the performance offered by a Solr approach be significantly
>> greater or more scalable than using Postgres' built-in search?
>>
>> --
>>

>  --

It's better to be a pirate than join the Navy - Steve Jobs
http://mclov.in