I think having a single permanent (i.e. always instantly responding) dyno for
$10-20/month would make sense for a lot of people. It definitely provides for a
much better user experience than the current free plan, especially for low
traffic scenarios.

It could work like this: free plan as before, for testing etc. Once in a
low-traffic production environment, upgrade the free dyno to a permanent dyno
for $10-20/month. Then later, buy a second dyno for $35/month.

Kevin