To be brutally honest, there is no hard and fast rule, but I have found the
following:

- Rails is really fast at slowing down, so ensure that your dependencies and
initialisers are at an absolute minimum.

- Keep things small and lightweight, break your application up into lots of
smaller applications. Sinatra, for instance, spins up almost instantly on
Heroku and can take you a fair distance in terms of simple functionality

- Generally speaking, the newer the Rails version, the quicker the spinup time,
especially if you're not using ActiveRecord

- If you're feeling beta-y, try running on Ruby 1.9.3, this makes a massive
difference to Rails.

Other than this, I'm not really aware of any silver bullet, but I do know that
lots of smaller more focused applications spin up better than one monolithic
Rails app, which is why Unix is so good I guess.

-Neil