Hi Mike,

Sounds about right. It's a daily job that creates the files, doesn't take
that long but there can be quite a few of them. I'm not worried about them
after the push to github but wouldn't want them disappearing before it
finishes.

I've part of the code already running but only push two tiny test files.
Plus I haven't figure out how the deploy key works.

Dave
On 2 Apr 2013 20:26, "m...@bolser.co.uk" <mike%bolser.co...@gtempaccount.com>
wrote:

> Hi David
>
> It sounds like you're trying to do this:
>
> 1. Create files on a running dyno (presumably the output of a process).
> 2. Set github as a git remote on a running dyno.
> 3. Add and commit the newly created files to the dyno's local git repo.
> 4. Push the dyno's local git repo to github.
>
> Is that correct? There are a lot of risks with this approach due Heroku's
> ephemeral file system.
>
> Mike
>
> On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:26:46 PM UTC+1, David Boyer wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Hopefully this won't seem like an odd question but has anyone got any
>> experience when it comes to pushing stuff back to github, from an actual
>> Heroku app.
>>
>> I have some nodejs code which runs on Heroku, that'll create a load of
>> ".json" files.  From there I want to "git push" them to a github repository
>> (gh-pages branch).  I've got the nodejs code and git commands sorted but
>> haven't worked out how to get the "deploy key" working.  If anyone has done
>> something like this before, I'd be grateful to hear how it was put together.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave
>> ---
>> David Boyer --- http://about.me/david.boyer