On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM, David Boyer <d...@yougeezer.co.uk> wrote:
> Didn't get chance to try it out from home but I'm sure it's probably a
> firewall not letting me out.  If I try it on an external connection and
> still have issues I'll log it on the off chance ;)

Unfortunately I found the issue; it has been closed with, basically,
'arrrgh'...but I'd go there and register your +1 that this sucks and
it'd be nice to find some way to get around this:

  https://github.com/heroku/heroku/issues/407

> From all the variations I've tried so far it feels like the following
> happens:
>
> git commands fire off fine (git init, git add, git commit)
> git push to github starts
>
> It spots the GIT_SSH environmental variable.
> Reads it correctly.
> Can't find the file /app/git_ssh.sh error (unable to fork)
>
> It's really weird, because that file definitely exists.  It's almost seems
> like the git process spawns "sh" to run the script but it can't see the /app
> mount?  I'm grabbing at straws if that sounds daft ;)>

Well, I don't think we do anything unusual there -- perhaps you should
try stepping through it while running inside 'heroku run bash'?

I know the 'heroku run bash' to get a shell hooked up from a Heroku
container to your local TTY is old news by now, but I feel inclined to
remark that it's saved me enormous grief in debugging this kind of
thing: so before tearing one's hair out I'd strongly recommend somehow
making 'heroku run bash' happen.

Also, there is a convention of putting executable utilities into
"/app/bin", which in a local git repository is rendered as
REPO_ROOT/bin.  That shouldn't break your stuff, but I think parts of
the toolchain anticipate it...for example, $PATH in an environment
emitted from the Ruby build pack (not every buildpack does this or
needs to):

  /app/bin:/app/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

Doing this, you can take advantage of up things in ./bin/ in your
repository (translated to /app/bin on Heroku) being in $PATH from the
get-go, at least for Ruby.

--
fdr

---