Glad you're making progress and the file system isn't going to cause issues
for you.

I don't know the solution but am pretty sure that error is a UNIX
permission error, so two things I'd check:

   1. Does ssh.sh has execute permissions set correctly?
   2. Is ssh.sh sitting in a mount point with `noexec` set? (mount | grep
   noexec)

Does that help?

On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:04:48 PM UTC+1, David Boyer wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the extra information on the file system, good to know I've got
> that right :)
>
> Stuffing the key into a config var does make sense, thanks for the
> suggestion.  I seem to still be missing a piece of the puzzle though.  I've
> the keys needed set as config vars, plus GIT_SSH set as a "ssh.sh" script
> which contains lines to materialise the keys as files and then make use of
> it got the push.  But I'm running into the error:
> "fatal: cannot exec './ssh.sh': Permission denied\nfatal: unable to
> fork\n"
>
> I noticed that a wallmart project called
> "mock-server"<https://github.com/walmartlabs/mock-server>appears to have code
> that supports heroku and funcationality for git keys.
>  I've tried to follow what they have with the keys as config vars and the
> .sh script.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wednesday, 3 April 2013 09:53:33 UTC+1, Daniel Farina wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM, David Boyer <da...@yougeezer.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>> > Looks like the ephemeral file system won't be an issue.  I've read up
>> and it
>> > appears that it'll only lose any created files when the dyno is stopped
>> or
>> > restarted.  That works fine for me since if the process is stopped /
>> > restarted, I wouldn't want those files anyway.  Plus each batch would
>> be
>> > independent, not requiring any from a previous batch of files.
>>
>> Your reading is correct.  Many, many applications -- including quite a
>> few Heroku components -- rely on manipulating the file system within
>> the running container with the understanding that it will go away
>> after the container is destroyed.  You can have a shot at knowing when
>> this is happening by treating SIGTERM in a program.  The grace period
>> is some handful of seconds.
>>
>> > Just need to work out the SSH github deploy key needs to be configured
>> for
>> > heroku to have repository access for the push.  Possibly this?
>>
>> I'd suggest (although it may seem bizarre) stuffing the key into a
>> config var if you do this, and then materializing it on the file
>> system to aid 'git push'.
>>
>> --
>> fdr

---