From: "Chasomatic" <chasma...@gmail.com>
To: "hexayurt" <hexayurt@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:39 PM
Subject: [hexayurt] Re: Windows and COOLING on the PLAYA

I use the Home Depot bucket style of swamp cooler.

My pumps come from Harbor Freight and they're Solar powered fountain
pumps for outdoor gardens ($19.95). They have a pressure head of at
least 3 feet and their own solar panel. Net power consumption ZERO!
My fan comes from Frozen CPU, I can't remember the exact numbers right
now but it's specially designed to give a column of air not the normal
dispersal pattern. It draws 0.7 amps to run and puts out around 120
cfm ($31 with shipping). It shoots the air out of the pipe.

I think my total power use will be about 1.0 (.3 pump+.7 fan) amps per
hour. Last year I didn't run the SC very late into the evening but it
may be hotter this year. Maybe 8.5 watts per hour from my 10 watt
solar panel/battery. It's close, but I may be a balanced power
system.

My first effort for this year's swamp cooler was a little weak, but I
still have it. Has anyone built a chest from Hexayurt panels to keep
beer cool? I think my small SC would be enough to work but I don't
know how to calculate the potential temperature drop (would it be
worth it?).

any ideas