And, adding to Bill's comments, yes, David, the pump is used to recirculate
the water through the swamp cooler filter, keeping it damp and, thus,
working for you so long as the humidity is low in both the outside and
inside environments.

That's why you must have a way to exhaust the indoor air when using a swamp
cooler and need a small supply of dry outside air coming in, too. The
cooling takes place two ways:

1. Inside the evap cooler box as the dry air being drawn through the wet
filter evaporates water and cools the incoming air; and
2. In the room when the moist air from the swamp cooler is evaporated by the
dry air in the room.

If you have a single filter swamp cooler, I would think you could rig up a
really small mister inside the box designed to keep the swamp cooler filter
damp. Like maybe a pump sprayer used in gardening. But you still would want
to recapture the water that drips off the filter and get it back into the
pump sprayer reservoir. And it would require a lot of maintenance. I haven't
experimented with how long a fully pumped pump sprayer will mist its couple
gallons of water supply. I have used one as a shower (it stings, but works)
in my RV. But for that purpose, I warm the water over the stove flame each
day, pour it in the pump container and pump it up.  It works. Like I said,
it stings when it hits the body. Very little drip because it produces such a
fine mist and you control the on/off of the spray wand.

But if you had it on all the time, spraying the evap cooler filter, there
WOULD be drip.

You don't want to waste water when your water supply is limited and -- at
the Playa -- is limited to the water you've hauled in.

I think Cahosmatic's suggestion of a solar-powered fountain pump for about
$20 from Harbor Freight is the coolest solution I've heard so far for an
off-the-grid swamp cooler. Am making a trip to the Albuquerque Harbor
Freight later this week and hoping to find one while there.

Pairing that with a solar powered fan really ups the investment but also
makes the thing energy neutral during the periods that the solar fan and
pump are working well -- (probably between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. most sunny
days).  You'd probably like an alternate power supply for late afternoon and
evening.

-- ken winston caine

P.S. Swamp cooler parts and accessories are on closeout here in New Mexico
and if I don't grab what I need now to build a new model, I won't get a shot
at it again until late next Spring when summer stuff hits the stores again.
Not sure if I'm going to get around to building a solar powered swamp cooler
until then. My building project takes priority over that. I'll report what I
experience once I've done it.