Before I sewed a custom strap halo I used a square knot for the halo, and
cow hitch knots for the tie-downs.

http://www.animatedknots.com/reef/index.php?Categ=basics&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

http://www.animatedknots.com/cow/index.php?Categ=scouting&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

As I see it, the pros and cons for halo tie-down system compared to the tape
anchor system shake out like this:

*Halo Pros*

   - Quicker and easier to rig than tape anchors
   - Provides more security for roof triangles (basically a 2nd tension
   ring)
   - Reusable (less tape for each build)

*Halo Cons*

   - If *any *of the tie-down points fail the *entire* system looses tension

Only one con, but it's a *big *one.  You must be very careful with your tie
downs and stakes if you choose to go with a halo for your Hexayurt.  I lost
half my Hexayurt panels when the wind pulled out one of my stakes and threw
my Hexayurt into a tree.  This was when my Hexayurt was left unattended for
two weeks in a place with very high winds.  If you are living in the
Hexayurt and can inspect your tie-downs regularly I think the halo approach
works great.  For long-term installations where the tie-downs may not be
inspected regularly I recommend tape anchors.

-Tripod