Greetings,

Sorry I'm behind again, catching up from being at Pennsic (and living in
a collection of connected traditional ger (yurt)) cooled in the
traditional style (open roof vent hole, raise the sides a little, and
get a pleasant breeze) quite pleasantly.

A few questions, if I may,

On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 19:04 -0700, KK wrote:
> Ok...part 2 of the video test is up.
>
> http://youtu.be/bJXd71ZaWls
>
> Foam board covering. Model on ground.
>
> Outside Temp - 100 deg. F

What was the inside temp?

> Windspeed - 7mph
> Sun Intensity - Off the chart!
>
> Same result. No difference. No reverse air flow downwards.
> So, if you are one of the "wee people" living in a tiny hexayurt,
> Bucky Fuller is not your friend.
> Prepare to sweat.

What is the temperature of the smoke?  That might effect things, if we
are expecting it to rise or fall.

What was the expected difference in the vent-size for the roof-vent and
the side vents?

>From my read of the quote, the top vent should be much smaller than the
side vents, not that I think it would make much difference, unless the
air in the structure started cooler, or the whole system started cooler,
and the outside heated up quite a bit faster than the inside, which
might (might, mind you, not would) bring the inside air out, but you
would be "cooling" with moving warmer air, pulled in from the top,
because the coolest air would be being pulled out of the bottom vents.

So, even if the reverse flow worked, you would be moving warmer air, and
perceiving the moving warmer air as cooler than the static cooler air,
simply because of evaporation, and "any breeze is better than none."

I'm still much more enamored at the vacuum pull of heated air up a black
pipe, you are still moving warmer air than cooler air, but it is
probably much easier to arrange for, and still used the Joule-Thompson
effect to "cool" or at least speed the air up in its movement similar to
the Venturi effect.  The Coanda effect could be used for the redirection
of the flow, due to the shape of the pipe, causing more suction up
through the pipe.

Of course, as a side note, the Bernoulli Principal applies to a liquid
or a gas, for it's a fluid, and both follow the rules, see also:
http://mitchellscience.com/bernoulli_principle_animation

Percy