On Aug 10, 2:06 am, Jack Senechal <jacksenec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So if you put a tall black chimney on top, does it significantly
> increase air flow I wonder? I'd expect it to in sunny conditions...

Yes, I bet it would.
Now imagine a wide, black painted "chamber" in the pipe on top.
There would be more surface area to collect heat and more air being
heated.
You could do it easily with different size pipe and reducers.

Although, quality fans can be really reliable. And will actually move
much more air.
12v powered is easy to do. Even directly connected to solar panels
with no battery.
Sun comes out, fan speeds up.

Now, if you build from earth blocks, you don't need fans or any of
this trickery.
But earth building is labor intensive and not portable.
Plus, some places don't have suitable dirt.

So...I'm going for simple active systems with replaceable modular
parts.
The design shape of the building helps you use the least amount of
active technology.