I roughly trimmed mine to 6-9" and use wide painters tape to stick it
to the outside of the yurt. Taping to the outside seems to add
tension, pulling the walls together, and it keeps the dust and rare
rainfall out too. Does it make a huge amount of difference whether
it's inside or outside? Marginally? Maybe? *shrug*

That said, to save you effort, cutting nice straight edges in the tarp
will make the tape job easier. If you're concerned about fraying or
want to win the Tarp of the Year prize, make your cut against a 2x4 or
straight edge, then move the 2x4 over, and run a heat gun down the
edge. The tarp will melt right up against the 2x4 leaving you a
perfectly straight line that won't fray.

-Joshua