I found someone who will sell me 1.5" Thermax @ $59.95/sheet -- which
sounds like the prices I have heard elsewhere?

I am wondering if I should stick with the 1" RMax @ $16/sheet for my first
build and then use the better material for my second build under the
assumption that I am not going to get everything right the first time
around? I expect to build something usable for this year on the first
attempt -- but then have lots of ideas for improvements after building it
and using it for a week :) Also, this year, I only need to sleep 2 in the
hexayurt, but next year it could be more.

I'm also working on building a solar panel array and a swamp cooler. So,
hopefully that can offset the lower R value. Obviously, I have a lot left
to build, so I need to get the structure done ASAP, and saving some money
on the building materials would help fund the solar.

So, as long as the 1" RMax is strong enough (which is sounds like it is) --
or can be cheaply reinforced, it sounds like a good option? I do plan to
bevel the edges. And I am building a stretch hexayurt -- which is one of
the smaller designs. Using the 1.5" RMax would be great too, but I have not
found a source for it in Chicago yet. Big box places like Home Depot would
need me to order an entire palette (something like 40-60 sheets).

- jeremy

p.s. if you are in the Evanston/Chicago area this place can special order
the Thermax panels in small quantities,

http://www.evanstonlumber.com/products/building-materials

$45.95 for 1"
$59.95 for 1.5"