For #1:
You do want two people when assembling things with glue - stretching the
strips in the air above their landing zone. You can try to pipeline the
operation - have some panels dry while you attach the strips to others, the
glue has pretty decent working time of at least 20 min in fair weather, and
you can always re-wet things if you missed your window.

And for #2 my partner in this process was a smoker :) so it's not that
flammable actually :)

My one year outdoor test (in California :)) for the contact cement is
mostly positive - a few feet did peel off, but nothing compared to almost
all of the bdf tape i did use on a few panels.

I should mention that I was not using vinyl, but cordura strips with a fair
number of zippers sewn on. Cordura is pretty much impossible to glue up, so
I very impressed by the contact cement method.

Cheers,

Vladimir