On Sep 23, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

Currently we have the following "tools" in the ant/eclipse toolset:

hbm2java
hbm2ddl
hbm2doc
hbm2dao
cfg2cfgxml
cfg2hbm

I would like those names to be consistent, but what is the better name ?

hbm2<whatever> (the legacy name, and based on the idea that you take hbm.xml files and transform them which is not true anymore where the input can be a database, hbm.xml and annotations)

or

cfg2<whatever> (the more technically correct name, but probably doesnt ring-a-bell when people hear/see it)

I want to have it renamed (if at all) before the next release to be able to freeze the "api".

I'm leaning to change it to hbm2<whatever> for consistency and recognization value, but not sure...

any input welcome ;)

The names are fine. You won't find a better schema for so many different things. In fact, the only thing we have to change, and I've done that for a while now, is to tell users that "hbm" does not mean Hibernate mapping file, but "hibernate metadata" or "hibernate metamodel".