The longer the tissue sits in paraformaldehyde the more the proteins in the tissues will become cross-linked due to multiple methylene bridge formations and could require very rigorous antigen retrieval or may even be beyond retrieval; the tissues could become brittle as well due to over-fixation. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Merced