I make my Schiff's from scratch and store it in the refrigerator.
I use a minimum amount of charcoal and I heat it in the oven at over 100 C the night before to be sure it is nice and dry.
I make periodic acid fresh that day.
I make bisulfite rinses fresh that day.
Aqueous formalin for 48 hours at room temp. is OK for rat and mouse liver glycogen, I don't know about other species. Slices of liver should be thin.
When in doubt formalin+alcohol+acetic acid is an excellent fixative.

Geoff

Diana McCaig wrote:
Hi
We have been doing a PAS stain on the same control block and same
reagent supplier for a long time. Yesterday when we ran the slides, they failed to stain We opened new bottles of Periodic Acid and Schiff's Reagent and recut
fresh controls
Still, we are unable to get any staining. Suggestions to help would be appreciated Diana

Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.
Neuroscience and Cell Biology
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
675 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854