Wow is all I can say.

Also, thank you.  I have been looking everywhere for a non pay-for host for my website.  Perhaps telefragged will be of assistance to me.

- Lakario

----- Original Message -----
From: Dynerman David M
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 2:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [hlcoders] FP charging & PHL Monopoly

I would disagree.

I've been hosted by TF, GSI, Stomped, and other various hosts...

GSI continues to insist that your site is on a planet*.com subdirectory.
They won't host domains like other hosts will (i.e. www.flfmod.com
wouldn't be hosted by GSI, the best we could do is www.flfmod.com
autoforwarding to www.planethalflife.com/frontlineforce)

GSI insists that you use its forums, and provides poor support for
scripting. Instead of having it nicely integrated, its separated onto
another server (dynamic.gamespy.com if I'm not mistaken)

Many other sites are able to securely run PHP/CGI/Whatever scripting and
their web services at once, I don't see why GSI couldn't.

GSI doesn't provide shell accounts.

GSI doesn't provide FTP access to your site, you're instructed to use
FilePlanet (The wait is 3405 minutes. Let's go!)

GSI doesn't pay you for extra advertising your site generates.

On the other hand, a few months ago (before the advertising market fell
through) Stomped offered us a complete package (I was on Team Reaction
at the time)

www.teamreaction.com

subdomains for each of our mods (qpong.teamreaction.com,
gloom.teamreaction.com, jailbreak.teamreaction.com)

script support for our own forums (we were able to keep our forum db and
not have to force users to re-register)

ftp access at ftp.teamreaction.com, where we could upload our files and
keep a structured file environment (i.e. ftp.tr.com/pub/quake2/gloom,
ftp.tr.com/pub/quake3/jailbreak/, etc)

Shell accounts (especially useful to compile Linux versions of
modifications quickly, without rebooting)

Telnet access to our site for management - we could set our own
permissions, add user accounts for FTP, mail, or WWW

Stomped paid us for ad revenue we generated above whatever they needed
to maintain their business (services they provided us, etc) Team
Reaction.com was a medium traffic website, but we still got about $250 a
month out of it.

Stomped actually recently was forced to close because of dropping ad
revenue, these claims are in reference to several months ago (they
didn't have bloatware 2.0..erm excuse me, Gamespy Arcade 2.0 to back
them up financially)

Much, much more

In any case, TeleFragged is currently providing pretty much the same
package as above, minus the advertising payment (given the nature of the
current ad market, not suprising)

FLF needed a new home recently, and being familiar with what our current
hosts (who offered pretty much the same deal as Stomped did) I contacted
GSI. Sadly their policies still stand.

"Sure we'd love to host your site! You'll have to give up the following
things: your own domain, your own file server, fast downloads, scripting
support, shell access, privileges to add users in your own directory,
add revenue, and some other stuff"

No thanks GSI.

david