Hi,

> I think the problem is not with my particle engine (how dare you suggest
> that!!! :) but with additive blending in general. What I've found is
> that the sprites impact framerate in direct proportion to their pixel
> size, which is exactly what you'd expect. The more pixels that must be
> modified by the sprite, the more slowdown.

That's exactly what I noticed with my particle system. I can have about 2000
particles on screen without any problems when they are as small as 5 units.
But scaling them up to, say, 100 units (or moving very close to them so they
almost fill the screen) results in the framerate dropping to about 4 fps. So
I guess you use pretty large scales for your explosion. Try creating a
similar looking effect using more, but smaller sprites. Should help a lot.

Hope that helps,

TheTinySteini