I have a nasty feeling you arnt going to like these results.

I tested your mod on three machines over two operating systems and 3 types
of rendering.
I created a custom map for testing, you can get it here:
http://www.planethalflife.com/kuja/testmap.bsp

------------
Test bed one:
 1.5ghz Athlon tb
 Radeon 8500DV / 128
 4gb Ram
 Win2k Advanced Server / Win98

OpenGL Results: 100fps constant, when exploded, 99.6 fps

D3d Results: 48-50fps, when exploded, dropped to 46fps

Software: 32-28 fps. when exploded, dropped to 6-7fps

Conclusion: It didnt even hiccup, except for software mode.
I like the way your explosion looks ;). Possible reasons for
software slowdown include the fact that software doesnt us
any video card memory or anything like that.
-----------

------------
Test Bed TWO:
 800mhz Athlon (not tb)
 ATI XPert98 (based off the rage3d chipset)
 96mb ram
 WinMe

OpenGL Results: DNR (xpert98 wont run gl for some reason)

D3d Results: 33-36 fps, when exploded, dropped to 27-28 fps

Software: 20-22fps, when exploded, 0-1 fps (ouch)

Conclusion: This computer is my sisters, and its a piece of crap.
 However, in 3d accellerated mode, it did quite nicely, with only
 about a 5-6 fps drop.
------------

-------------
Test Bed THREE:
 1.4ghz Athlon TB
 GeForce 3 TI200
 320mb Ram
 Windows XP

Open GL Results: 70-80 fps, when exploded, dropped to 30-40 fps

D3d results: 40-48 fps, when exploded, dropped to 18-20 fps

Software: 32-28 fps. when exploded, dropped to 12-15 fps

Conclusion: OUCH! This thing really took a whallup. Its a nice machine, and
it
couldnt take your measly 5 explosions.

Overall Conclusions:

 It appears that the ATI cards handle your explosions quite nicely, whereas
the GF3 just totally died. I think its related to a driver issue with
refresh rates or something as I mentioned earlier. BTW - Nice damn
explosions ;)