Is it possible to preprocess client commands being sent to the server before
they're sent?

I'd like to run an md5digest on a password argument before it flys off over
the internet to the server. Is this possible?

I was going to have players persistent info stored against AuthID, but then
I realised it'd be nice to be able to log in at someone elses machine and
still get your stats/score updated. So now I need some way of a player
entering a username/password combo and not have a plaintext password either
travel across the network or be stored in a text file (which would happen if
I used a cvar wouldn't it?).

Any suggestions to throw into the pot?

Paul