OK, I'm kind of ashamed to write something like this but here goes.

Can anybody explain the AI for me? Are there any tutorials related to it?

Normally I try to understand these things on my own (go to definition of
function(), find all occurrences of variablename) but I think this one is
just plain over my head. It seems that  different actions monsters perform
are tied to different animations of theirs (which seems like a wholly
backwards way of doing things) but I can't find exactly where it says "If
you see the bad guy, shoot him" or even "If you see the bad guy, plan
anim_event_shoot"

I'd like to tinker with the code a bit but I decided it would be best if I
understood it first. A big thanks to anyone who helps me out in this
department.

-geoff c