You can do detail textures now.
I've done all kinds of things with OpenGL in HL, by doing it in the
CLIENT dll, and so has others.

>From moving clouds, to 24bit TGA texture loading, model rendering, I did
the rendering types on models that the newer hl engine has native
support for 2 years ago (albeit a little bit better since I supported
alpha channel), continuation of what I said about 24bit tga textures; I
can load 32bit tga's too, and use alpha channels. Etc etc.

FLF2's flashbang effect was done with OpenGL (I MAY put it into FLFD, I
haven't decided ;) ) There's all kinds of things you can do _without_
valve needing to do it for you.

All I'd like done is a few minor bug fixes, like the client side sound
playing, and I forget what else I've mentioned before on here, I'd have
to find it ;)

Here are some examples of things you can do:
http://omega.frontline2.com/imgdump/clouds3.avi
http://omega.frontline2.com/imgdump/override3.jpg
(these next 3 aren't the greatest quality..cause the texture sucked)
http://omega.frontline2.com/imgdump/fl2_window_alphamask_test01.jpg
http://omega.frontline2.com/imgdump/fl2_window_alphamask_test02.jpg
http://omega.frontline2.com/imgdump/fl2_window_alphamask_test03.jpg
alpha blending again: (32bit tga, alpha channel)
http://omega.frontline2.com/alphatest/alphatest0002.jpg
http://omega.frontline2.com/alphatest/alphatest0003.jpg
http://omega.frontline2.com/alphatest/alphatest0004.jpg
http://omega.frontline2.com/alphatest/alphatest0005.jpg
of course we cannot forget the imfamous flashbang I mentioned:
(note: this video is 100% ingame footage, no editing whatsoever except
the text, the fading is NOT transitions)
http://www.frontlineforce.com/omega/fl2_flashbang-fxdemo-alternate.avi
some stuff x-0ut did:
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/Mom_Im_on_TV!.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/multiple_portals1.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/multiple_portals2.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/multiple_portals3.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/multivolume.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/detail_test1.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/detail_test2.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/normalmaps_test1.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/normalmaps_test2.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/normalmaps_test2b.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/simple_shadows.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/reflective_glass1.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/infinity.jpg
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/camtest2.jpg

As you can see the possibilities are almost endless =)

-omega
http://www.frontline2.com