I doubt to send this, has most people think that is late to have HL1
suggestions, but.. he!.. maybe some people will get this idea and use
in some way, or something. Only for fun factor, more suggestions here:

- -

I have a idea, that work, about 2D games with a Half-Life engine
(HL1/HL2.. )

Actually you use 3d models, and these where located in 3d world, and
render has 3d.
But can be posible to set models to a 2D texture (a nice guy draw?),
located in screen coordinates, and render has 2d. Hehehe.. this way
you can have "Soldat" or "Worms" or "Tetris" alike games with a HL
engine, or maybe very advanced dinamic huds.

About coordinates, can be cool to have 9 origin coordinates: NW, N,
NE, W, Center, E, SW,S and SW. And rearray coordinates from this
locations.

You dont need netcode changes, but some changes in the render, and
recognize .tga or .pcx files as valid models :D

Opps.. you will need to write a custom PVS for this models, that will
be visible if where inside the screen box :D

Example (pseudocode):

"model" = "pics/player8.tga"
"origin" = "myorigin_x myorigin_y 0"