I saw this guy post this on a forum.  He is trying to get a mod team
by promising them financial rewards "in the future."  I wanted to hear
your guys' opinion on his take on commercially released mods.  He
seems to think it is only a matter of time before Valve starts selling
people's mods on Steam and giving them a cut.  What do you guys think?
 Especially, what is Valve's stance on this?

Ohh, and he's saying that HalfLife was started as a mod for Quake,
then turned to a commercial product.  I've never heard this before and
am pretty sure that it's complete BS, can anyone confirm or deny it?

Here is the quote:
 I'm sorry but I seem to remember when Half-Life was originally
thought up, It was very much being programmed as a mod - and the
transition was made to a commercial venture soon after
 Point 1 >Valve have broken the mold in terms of selling their
software directly to the end user, the difference has been that it's a
high profile game, that you have to register online to play, that the
steam vehicle will allow other games to be downloadable and ultimately
you will pay for them - I believe that's a good thing - even if it's a
mod (I think people need to get over this whole "I'm not paying to
play a mod, they should be free" I guess if it's been free for so long
people are resistant to that change, but ask yourself one question -
if they released counterstrike2 tomorrow for say $5 through steam,
would you buy it?
 Point 2 >It's very backward in terms of thinking to presume that
the Status Quo is "you have to find a load of money to buy the licence
for the engine to sell your mod" - this will change - and i believe
that Valve will be one of the first to offer that - They have the
Program "Steam" to deliver the mod to the masses and charge people for
it - the reasoning behind this is that it will create a whole new
commercial enterprise for home modders to actually spend more time
producing the best mods they can
 Think of it like this - (Leaving Software companies aside) - If it
costs say $200,000 or whatever to buy the licence for the engine it
would certainly be out the reach of most people who want to make a
living out of it (you've already made that clear), henceforth if you
say come to a commercial agreement whereby Valve would say take 50% of
the mod's taking's - and we're not talking about charging a kings
ransom - say $2 for the intial release per download - doesn't that
start cogs whirring in your brain to tell you that more modders would
most likely turn to making games "full-time", certainly the mods
quality would increase if they can spend more time on them - i.e. give
up their shitty day jobs - and Valve already with a captive audience
would make more money also