So now I feel stupid. Even though the func_ladder entity has been
deprecated from the SDK, creating a brush and applying the ladder
texture to it accomplishes the same thing. So, if you don't want to
use the new HL2-style ladders all you have to do is create a brush for
the actual ladder (i.e. the standard ladder model), then create
another brush with the ladder texture on all sides and place it
over/in front of the ladder (depending on where/how you want the
player to climb it).

Does anyone know how this works? The glass texture is similar...how
does it apply these properties in-game?

Josh

p.s. I've only tried this in the multiplayer mod...not sure if it
works in single player as well.