-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Imperio59
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:36 AM
To: hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlcoders] SDK Code update.

Ok,
I'm not done merging the 150+ files i need to yet, but i want a few
explanations:
Why change the entire game events listener/sender system? Why was that
needed? (about 20-30 files that need change).
Why add those functions that allow you to "DeleteIfdesired" or some
similar name?
Why Post a steam update every month if all it does is give coder a
headache for 2 or 3 hours while they figure out what has changed and how
to make their mod work again?
My mod was about to release a media release tonight, big thing, new
forums, website, screens, cinematics in 3D and in-game screens and
videos (that we were supposed to take last night ). Now the mod doesn't
work anymore, i have to spend 3+ hours fixing things to get back to
where i was before, and for what? A new game events manager and a couple
of bug fixes that i put in 2 month ago?
Not to mention no changelog, no update notes for programmers, chatbear
goes down for hours on end, overall no communication as to why certain
changes were made and why they were so important that they had to go in
1 month after the last patch.
Not to say that I've lost faith, but I'm seriously starting to doubt if
i'm going to be able to stay the course for another 6 months to get my
mod out of the door if every month valve slaps me in the face by making
it mandatory for me to spend 4 hours figuring out how to just simply get
back to where i was?!
I feel like all this update has done is push me back down under the
water just when i was starting to rise above it.
You guys need to start thinking before you go "hey lets change this
entire system and not explain why, let's just dump it on them, they can
figure it out". Now our mod's media release is seriously compromised, i
don't even know if i can meet the deadline the few fan sites have given
us so they would release our media story out, because i have real life
things like college that also need my attention and because I can't
afford to work everyday for 6 hours on a mod and put as much effort into
it as a real programmer would. One of my mod members said something that
felt close to what i was feeling, he said:
"Maybe Valve does this so mods won't come out for another X months while
they get TFC2 and DOD:S out the door", and I feel like this is getting
truer and truer. All this makes me want to do is wait for another year
before i touch the SDK again, because i figure by then these monthly
fuckups will be gone.
Half Life 1 wouldn't have done so good if it wasn't for it's mods,
especially DOD and CS, i hope you realise HL2 won't last very long on
the shelves if you keep hindering private mod's developpement by pulling
this crap on us so often.
Rant over.