The way DoF is done in GMod is really simple.

It's just a line of sprites into the distance that blue (so the more
sprites you look through the more blurred it looks).

The only problems are the hard line on the floor where the sprite is
and it can only blur the background. Oh and the way I'm doing it right
now has the draworder confused so there's visible pixel bleeding.