I don't think cl_restrict_server_commands is a mistake or bug. If there are
exploitable client cvars that need to be monitored by a server plugin, those
exploits need to be fixed. Officially supported fixes (not Mani-mod client
cvar enforcement) carry the benefit of games that are harder to exploit out
of the box, and we don't have to worry about malicious server admins having
unwanted access to client settings.

Think of a web-page that has the ability to change your web browser
settings. It might be nice for a web designer to stick his site in your
bookmarks or make sure you don't set your font size too large and break his
layout, but, it's your web browser and your browsing preferences shouldn't
have anything to do with the web-page author.

I wouldn't address Valve like morons or cowards, it's impolite. Your point
has some merit but the new cvar is hardly an outrage: why can't admins just
use Mani-mod to kick/warn users who set their rate too high, instead of
setting the rate for them?

Regards,

Paul