The sound is triggered by CBaseEntity's implementation of
VPhysicsCollision().
If you've overridden that function in your leaf class without chaining
to the base class you'd lose physics sound/dust/etc effects.  So that's
one possible cause.  Otherwise set a breakpoint there (or in the caller:
PostCollision - src/dlls/physics.cpp) and step through the call when the
grenade bounces to see why no sound is played.

Jay