Hmm.. you might try investigating this function

Activity CSDKPlayerAnimState::CalcMainActivity()

It returns what activity to play based on certain parameters. Make sure that
it's returning the activity you want it to..

You can do this by adding a code break, or you can do this by spitting out a
message to the screen to determine what activity is being returned.

This is how I spit out messages to the screen.

engine->Con_NPrintf ( iLine,  "%i",  idealActivity );

iLine is the line on the screen where it will spit out. I think valid values
range from 0 - 60.

idealActivity is the activity number. You should put this line at the end of
the ::CalcMainActivity()  function ..