That's what I've done...sig scan for the event queue and some of the
overloads of AddEvent.  With CreateNamedEntity, KeyValues, and AddEvent, you
can do some cool stuff.  For example, I have a trip mine setup that works
completely based on those three things without need for the plugin to
monitor players and see which player's tripmine killed which player.

It would be nice to have access to those things via plugins without hacking,
but so far we haven't seen much in the way of access to mod-specific
functions.