They're not trying to 'thwart' them.
You have to realize it's a matter of priority.

You typically don't get support for anything that the game is going to have
in situations like this. Look at any other game; unless it's something that
benefits the host game, or is designed for the host game, you don't
specifically have it.

The problem is simply, there isn't anyone dedicated to doing "extra" stuff
like that.Ie: the biggest complaint; lack of a real multiplayer vehicle.
Well, the hardcore facts are, until valve decides: "Okay, our next game is
going to be multiplayer vehicular combat" the likeliness of actually seeing
them sit down and dedicate time AND money to writing a multiplayer vehicle,
which they aren't going to use is rather slim.

Does that make sense to you? Think about it this way; it's the same as with
a mod.
Are you going to sit there and implement a bunch of features that you're not
going to use, just for the sake of "okay, well we aren't using y feature,
but lets just make people happy and spend x hours on y feature just so they
don't bitch, even if it's never going to be used in our mod."

It's common sense.
-Tony

-omega