I did this with cpp-netlib, which builds upon boost and boost.asio.
cpp-netlib: http://github.com/mikhailberis/cpp-netlib
You might get into some weird macro problems. Vgui does #define null 0L
and boost.asio uses null somewhere.

To do a http request, do something like this:
        http::client client(http::client::follow_redirect);
        http::client::request request(url);
        http::client::response response = client.get(request);

        if (response.status() == 200)