On whose end are hits achieved at a distance? The attacker or the target?

On 20/09/2010 5:48, Richard Paterson wrote:
This is sort of a vague question but I hope to perhaps benefit from
the experience of others if anyone has managed to overcome this issue.

My mod relies quite heavily on melee combat and I've noticed that lag
compensation is relatively bad in the case of melee weapon use. Hits
can be achieved at substantial distances at times(multiple player
lengths). I've also noticed that this isn't the case in other valve
games such as tf2.
Being a noob on the net side of things, I can see that lag
compensation is indeed used during collision detections for bludgeon
weapons but I lack the knowledge to determine what needs tweaking.
Perhaps it's more a question of player movement updates as melee
weapon hit detection success is more dependent on the player's
positions relative to one another than in the case of normal
projectile weapons.

I'd also like to know if other people have at least noticed this
problem, otherwise I'll have to assume I introduced the problem myself
via prior modifications.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Richard.