It's not actually the codebase that matters, it's the benefits of the later
Source versions including Mac support, better multi-threaded rendering, etc.
But I suppose for most of you, if you were to start a new project now,
Source wouldn't even be considered. You have UDK, Unity, and later this
month CryEngine 3 to play with.

- Stephen Swires