You'll have to ask Valve yourself, but to give you an idea, here's what
Blade Symphony needed to raise through Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/punyhuman/blade-symphony

>From one of their news posts they mention "... If we make our funding
target, this means we'll be able to afford an engine license, and we'll be
able to turn Blade Symphony into a commercial release." Which means that
they anticipated paying for their license with a portion of that $15k. Plus
whatever other terms of their agreement.