From: Mike Parrot [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 1:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlds] HLDS Win2k Server follow Networking Question

I'm not as experienced as most of you, but I set up a simple network with a
full T-1 coming through the Intel Express 8220 Router (vs. a Cisco...it was
only $700 new, has the CSU/DSU built in, and a slick "Device View" menu
interface) to a 650 Athlon w/ 256 RAM running Win2k Server (not Advanced
Server) with 2 NIC's.  I put the higher quality 3Com Etherlink Server
(3CR990SV97 model) as the LAN NIC, and set this up with "Client for MS
Networks," "File and Print Sharing" and "TCP/IP" protocols with the settings
Manuel had also said below.

I then use the 3Com "3C905C-TX-M" NIC for the WAN, but only have "TCP/IP"
enabled (no Client for MS Networks or File/Print Sharing) to protect the
Server PC and insulate the LAN.  I also run BID & NAV on both the Server and
LAN PC.   These are all networked to a 10/100 SMC switch (I heard that a
switch is faster than a HUB...but am still confused about what the
differences and indications of Hubs vs. Switches is), where the router CAT
cable connects into.

Because I know that Win2k Server has much faster, and allows more
simultaneous connections, I put my HLDS on the Win2k Server box, and running
it with a custom user profile.  I also Ghosted and image in case it gets
hacked.  I can restore it back from the 3 CD's (I have lots of maps!) pretty
quick. I have nothing else on the Win2k Server PC.

How does this setup sound to you?  The pings for people are superb....a lot
are getting pings under 50!  I am also now running a second HLDS, both
running as shortcuts..not as services.  So far the most people I have had
connected to both games running is about 35...and no crashes or other
problems have come up running this for about a week straight (have not had
to reboot, or restart, etc.).

Sorry this is so long...I'm getting to the heart of my question, but another
thought I had was at some point to get another (a third) dedicated (used) PC
box from someone, and use that as a dedicated game server, running Win2k
Pro,  put 2 NIC's in it, also plug them both into the switch, and then
configure one NIC to directly connect to the Internet (only using TCP/IP)
with another one of the block of public IP's.  Then have the 2nd NIC connect
in to the LAN so I could have configuring access from the network.  If I did
that I would also likely get one of those keyboard/mouse/monitor A/B
switches so I didn't have to put up another monitor.

I guess my real question is:  Is there anything wrong with having the Win2k
Server box that is also the gateway NAT routing PC run the HLDS games if
that's all I have on it?  People are getting excellent pings, with many
under 50!  I understand that the Server PC will get a bit more "stressed" if
I do file transfers, surfing, emailing, play HL as client, etc. from the LAN
PC I have now...but I thought that most all of these LAN requests just get
passed right through the Win2K Server box out to the Internet.  Is there any
point to setting up a third PC as a dedicated game server which would have a
less powerful OS on it?

Again, my apologies for this being so long, and many thanks for any
feedback.