I owned one of the original BEFSR41s from many many years ago. Only in
about it's 3rd year (possibly longer, I don't do well with time) did
it finally die out on me. In it's place went a WRT54G. I tried both
Linksys' firmwares and sveasoft's, haven't had issue with either
personally. A friend is back to using Linksys firmware on his, no
problems either.

I'm surprised that with all the networks I setup for people, that
there are so many complaints online about Linksys routers when they're
the only thing I ever use and I've yet to have a true problem with any
of the networks I've set up for customers (a router dying after years
of constant use is not a problem, it's lifespan =P ).

~Tony