This is the stuff that really bugs me (not blaming you, just Valve!),
what is this rubbish with people having to run winamp, now a quake3
server etc, all to change the fps?

Can't you just code either a fixed decent fps, or a decent range and
get it working?

Just seems like the oddest stuff I've ever heard that goes on with
this engine. Just hardcode it properly once and for all and not have
it affected by other apps/games that are on the server (bar load
issues), it can't be that difficult can it?